Sulov Castle is considered to be one of the most inaccessible castles in Povazie. Its ruins are located at an elevation of 660m. The construction of the castle was carved into the rocks. Therefore, it is a valuable technical and architectural monument. The first written record about Sulov Castle dates to 1470. In this year, the King of Hungary Matthias Corvinus permitted Sebastian Sulovsky to strengthened and expand the fortress by new walls, towers and moats. The Podmanicky family from Bystrica Castle had a strong influence over Povazie in the 16th century. They did not agree with a donation of Sulov Castle to Sebastian Sirmiensis. Rafael Podmanicky wanted to show his disagreement, so he ordered to set the castle on fire. This happened during a ceremony where Sebastian took over his new property. There were members of nobility and important guests at the ceremony, which took place on the 29th of December in 1550.
The castle consisted of two parts – the upper and the lower castle. Both parts were connected by a tunnel corridor carved into the rock. There was a 3m deep water tank caved into the rock in the upper castle. There was an observatory at the highest point of the castle. In addition to representative and living areas in the castle, there was a kitchen, a bakery, a study, a grain and flour warehouse, an armory, a stable, a treasure chamber with the family archive and a cellar. Matthias Bel, in his book about Trencin County, states that the entrance gate to Sulov Castle was carved into the rock cliff. Also, there was a drawbridge, which wasn’t as tall itself as the depth beneath it. In 1759, the owners no longer lived in the castle, rather they lived in their manors in the village. The Sulov Castle was significantly damaged in 1763. It was caused by an earthquake with epicenter in Komarno. Moreover, there was another earthquake with epicenter in Zilina in 1858, which might have also damaged the castle. Since 1780, the castle has had no guard. Consequently, it has been decaying for several centuries. Only a few walls have been preserved from the original building. Unfortunately, Matthias Bel already called the castle a ruin in the middle of the 18th century. Since 1963, The Sulov Castle has been registered as a National Heritage site.
zdroj: Vlastný výskum autorky textu M. Kerešovej.